there was Lavvie Dilweg, the incomparable, who was all over the field to drag down Bear tacklers by hard, low tackles. When Lavvie hit them, they stayed hit - as they always do. And there was Gantenbein and Saunders and Lew Lewellen turning in some fine performances to mention a few. Three plays were all that were needed to beat the Packers. One was of their own design and the other two were completed by the Bears. After receiving the opening kickoff and taking the ball on their own 20-yard line, a Packer pass play was called with Molenda dropping back and tossing over the line of scrimmage. Brumbaugh leaped into the air and dragged down the ball on the Packer 28 yard line. The Bears lined up and the ball was snapped. Brumbaugh fell back and thew to Lintzenich who was uncovered. Lintzenich caught the ball on the ten yard line, evaded Blood as the latter slipped and dashed for a touchdown. Charles Tackwell, Bruin tackle, went back for a placekick. The pass was good and the ball dropped to the ground. Tackwell kicked and the ball sailed over the crossbar, giving the Bears seven points, so quickly that fans hardly had time to wrap their blankets about their legs and get settled to see the game.
After the sudden score, both teams settled back to hard, but cautious football for a time. Little happened in the next ten minutes when Lewellen and Lintzenich exchanged punts. Near the end of the quarter the Bears had to ball just beyond midfield in Packer territory and began to take chances. Two plays failed to gain after a Packer penalty. A third play picked up a yard and on the fourth play of the series, the Bears tried a lateral pass to Red Grange. Before Grange could get loose, the entire right side of the Packer line had crashed in on him and threw him for a four yard loss, giving Green Bay the ball on their own 40 yard line. Then the Packers opened up. Molenda hit center for five yards. Blood picked up three and Lewellen got loose on the third play, dashing 16 yards through an open field before he was finally downed by Lintzenich on the Bear 36 yard line. Molenda and Lew plowed through the center of the line for 14 yards on three tries. Molenda went to the 18 yard line on another smash and then he hit right guard, going four yards before the ball was knocked out of his arms and Franklin recovered for the Bears to end the threat.
Lintzenich punted out but the Packers came right back. Molenda passed to Nash who grabbed the ball after Lintzenich tipped it up but couldn't knock it down. It was good for a first down on the Bear 37 yard line. Lewellen dashed around right end for nine yards and the first quarter ended. Lewellen slipped on a pass play to start the second quarter and lost four yards, but Molenda dropped back on the next play and passed to Johnny Blood who caught the ball on the five yard line, evaded Red Grange who slipped on the icy turf and dashed for a touchdown. Red Dunn came in to take Ftizgibbons' place at quarterback and try for the extra point. Molenda held the ball from placement, but Red's kick was just a few inches to the left of the upright and failed to add the extra point. Later in the second quarter, the Packers started another march but Lintzenich, who always seemed to be bobbing around and causing the Packers trouble, intercepted a Packer pass on the 50 yard line. He raced down the east side of the field and apparently was headed for a touchdown but Dick Stahlman raced diagonally across the field and caught him from behind on the 21 yard line. A pass over the goal line that was knocked down ended the threat by the Bears. The remainder of the period was all to the Packers' advantage with the Green Bay team going deep into Bear territory again. Two passes to Englemann were good, two others failed, and the Bears took the ball on downs. The Bears punted out and again the Packers tried to open up but they couldn't connect with passes and Walquist intercepted one heave to give the ball to the Bears on their own 10 yard line.
The Bears had an edge in the third period, driving deep into Packer territory with Nesbit carrying the brunt of the attack, slashing the Green Bay line and figuring in pass plays. A pass from Brumbaugh to Nesbit was good for an 18 yard gain and a first down on the Packer 20 yard line after Lintzenich had intercepted a Packer pass in Green Bay territory. Nesbit slashed through for eight yards and then made it a first down. Here the Packers braced and held the Bears on four thrusts, taking the ball on downs and Bruder punted. Again Nesbit began to plunge forward after an exchange of punts. He split center for 11 yards and a first down. Joesting couldn't gain but Brumbaugh passed to Garland Grange for 12 yards and a first down on the Packer 21 yard line. Nesbit fought his way through the line on a cutback play for 11 yards. He carried the ball again, going to the three yard mark before three men pulled him down. Then he was stopped. He was smeared for a yard loss by the Packer center trio. Joesting tried to smash the line. He was thrown for another year loss when Bruder smashed him down. Nesbit then tried a wide end run and Gantenbein and Grove broke through and thew him for a six yard loss and the Packers took the ball on the 11 yard line. In the fourth period, another Packer drive started with Lewellen and Saunders in the limelight. Lewellen gained eight yards and Saunders made it a first down on the 30 yard line. Lewellen found a hole at right guard, sidestepped Joesting and continued to go. He slipped on the 17 yard mark, however, and was downed when it looked like he was going on for a touchdown. Again the Bears braced and knocked down Green Bay passes, Grange batting down a fourth down pass just behind the goal line and the Bears got the ball on their 20 yard mark. That was the final Green Bay threat as Grange and Nesbit intercepted desperate last minute passes.
GREEN BAY -  0  6  0  0 -  6
CHI BEARS -  7  0  0  0 -  7
1st - CHI - Joe Lintzenich, 28-yard pass from Red Grange (Cookie Tackwell kick) CHICAGO BEARS 7-0
2nd - GB - Blood, 32-yard pass from Molenda (Dunn kick failed) CHICAGO BEARS 7-6
Chicago Bears (8-4) 7, Green Bay Packers (12-2) 6
​Sunday December 6th 1931 (at Chicago)
(GREEN BAY) - The Chicago Bears succeeded in upsetting Green Bay's Packers here Sunday before 18,000 fans. The Bruins were satisfied because they accomplish something they hadn't been able to do in two previous starts this year. Fans of Chicago were satisfied because they saw one of the greatest games of the year and their favorites win. Wisconsin fans and Packer players were content - or nearly so - because
the Green Bay team had nothing to be ashamed of in this upset and the Packers possess a third straight championship. So what more can one ask? As the Packers have not signed a contract to play Portsmouth next Sunday and the whole proposition was verbal and tentative, the Bear game was the final of the season and the Spartan battle will not be staged. Green Bay, therefore, has won her third successive National league pennant. As the contract with Portsmouth was tentative league rules permit either team to call off the game, and President Leland H. Joannes, of the Packers, has done so. The Portsmouth team refused to book Green Bay earlier in the year at Green Bay but now with everything to gain and nothing to lose sought the battle. A victory for Portsmouth, if the game had been staged, would have given the Spartans and Green Bay a tie for the title. Green Bay now has a one game lead over the Spartans.
The game Sunday, staged on a field made slippery by frost and thaw with a cold wind driving off Lake Michigan across the gridiron at Cubs park, was a real battle to watch. It contained all the thrills demanded by the most exacting fan. It saw the Bays at their best defensively and offensively in the running game. It saw them hold the Bears on the three yard line and throw them back for eight yards in losses to take the ball on downs on the 11 yard line. It brought the Bears a victory because they converted for the extra point after a touchdown while Red Dunn, coming into the game cold and stiff, missed a placement try by inches. No criticism can be levied at any of the Packers. They played fine football, opening holes, breaking up forward passes and throwing the Bears all over the field, frequently for losses. The Green Bay passing game was the only department of play not up to its usual caliber. It was often hurried by charging Chicago linemen and frequently passes went far wide of their mark. Accurate diagnoses of Packer pass plays by Bear players who covered receivers continually did a lot to break up the Green Bay overhead game.
In the final analysis, it was a Green Bay gamble that failed that cost them the game. If it had been at all successful, it probably would have been a different story. They took a chance on a quick pass play, expected to catch the Bears off their guard but the Chicagoans were primed for a surprise and before the game was two minutes old the Bruins had turned what might have been a clever Green Bay strategy into a Chicago touchdown and an extra point that brought a victory. After the unexpected opening the Packers fought back with all they had. They drove down the field with power plays deep into Bear territory in the first quarter, only to lose the ball on a fumble. Undaunted by this break, they smashed right back again going more than half the distance to the goal without relinquishing possession of the ball to score in the second quarter, with Johnny Blood taking a pass on the final play of the series to cross the line. When the placekick after the touchdown failed to add the extra point, the Packers continued to fight. There was no letup at any time. They met stubborn resistance from a powerful Bear team, however, and only on one occasion were they able to get within the Bear 15 yard line again. That was late in the game and the Bears braced to throw them back.
Standing out in this final fight for honors were many men. Bo Molenda, the battering ram of many Packer victories, was his usual self, smashing ahead for frequent gains and breaking up Bear plays on defense. Comstock and Michalske, playing the entire game at guard positions, were great performers. Then